Friday 8 February 2013

Seven Soups that Slay!

Is there anything more soothing than a nice bowl of soup on a cold winter's day?

The following is a list of seven soups I love and who serves them. Please let me know of some of your favourite bowls in town, I would love to try them.

Lao Thai (763 Selkirk Ave.) -- Souk Gai:
A tart and spicy (1-5, spice level, beware) soup with a clear broth filled with chicken, ginger and lemongrass. Perfect if you are feeling a cold coming on.

Falafel Place (1101 Corydon Ave.) -- Matzo Ball Soup:
Ami Hassan's matzo ball soup is simple and delicious. Chicken, homemade chicken stock, chunks of carrot and giant matzo balls to soothe your soul.

Bistro Dansk http://bistrodansk.com -- Goulash:
The paprika makes this one soar!

Thai Bochi (870 Logan Ave.) -- Cambodian Sour Beef Soup:
Mystery. Delicious, delicious mystery, oh, and fall apart chunks of beef.

Spicy Noodle House http://www.spicynoodlehouse.com -- Spicy Peanut Noodle Soup:
The name says it all, but I highly recommend adding the pork chop.

The Don (120 Donald St. #2) -- Cabbage Borscht:
A Mennonite classic, not a beet in the bowl.

Sun Fortune (2077 Pembina Hwy.) -- Hot and Sour Soup with Shrimp Dumplings:
Those giant dumplings take a soup I love to higher dimensions of pleasure.

3 comments:

  1. So many good choices. And does anyone in Winnipeg make a decent sopa azteca?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhoda and I used to.
      Nowhere that I know of anymore though.
      I have a great recipe if you're interested.

      Delete
    2. Definitely, Matt, I'd be interested to compare.

      I have made it myself a few times: just chicken stock, a little lime, chile, cilantro, oregano, garlic, tomato, onion, and homemade tortillas -- we have a tortilla press and for some strange reason it's easy to get bags of masa harina at Safeway.

      I almost forgot epazote: that's a must for me. Scoop 'n' Weigh on Taylor seems to have epazote from time to time.

      Delete